Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Linear Perspective


Last night, as we were re-hanging (Don't ask) the borders and legs for the stage, we were treated to a little lesson on upstage and downstage. I knew where they were, but not the reasons why, specifically. Dwight told us about linear perspective, the Italians, raked stages and roman acting platforms. Upstage was where the stage was highest, in the back, since the audience was normally sitting on a flat surface. The audience could still see the actors that were furthest away from them. There is always a reason for the vernacular we use, we don't even think about it most of the time. As we set up theatre games for our younger theatre camp members I think we will incorporate some of the rich history that lies behind all the theatre terms. Thanks for the lesson Dwight!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Farleigh Dickenson has a raked stage and they used it as part of the Theater department's historically accurate productions. I worked on a raked stage ONCE, there was a Virginia reel involved. It was interesting. Let's just say ballet never would have taken off if they hadn't figured out how to rake the audience.

    I've always wondered if all of my work onstage made my whole left/right problem worse in real life.

    BTW - I'm thinking of taking an Acting Shakespeare class at college next semester. . . . .thought you'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of our volunteers that do not yet know their lefts from their rights, upstage from downstage, but they will get it. As long as you are driving on the right side of the road, I will drive on the same road as you.

    Wow that is amazing Drinn, I wish I could take the class with you. This weekend is our theatre opening and we are so excited. I cannot wait to see Shakespeare on our boards. You may have to come down and have a production here for our town...

    ReplyDelete

Write what you like, but I will delete comments with unsavory language or adult content.