Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grapefruit Grumbles






Yesterday I was scrolling through my emails and I checked out one of the healthy ones from Lifescript Heathy Advantages. I can't get them to leave me alone, I have unsubscribed and still don't know how I got on their list. BUT they had a recipe for Grapefruit Brulee, so I opened it and had a look. My husband brought home a huge box of grapefruit for Christmas from some grateful customer. These ruby red grapefruits were kinda sour- as grapefruits go, so I jumped at the chance to find a recipe that would make them palatable. I dutifully cut the rind and pith off, sliced them into neat thick sections and topped them with dark brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and butter pats. I broiled them until the sugar started to sear.
I arranged them on the plate and poured the extra melted sugary mix over them. After calling the boys to try them, ( My son had a friend sleeping over) I grabbed my blackberry to take some food shots, as I generally do with new recipes I am trying out for the first time. Good thing I had it...


The experiment did not go as planned, guess I will throw the rest of those grapefruits out.

I do feel bad for my son's friend, every time he comes over he is "treated" to vegetables, which he won't eat at home. He does eat them here with a bit of encouragement. I do not think he will want to visit us anytime soon, even though I followed up with Lucky Charms for breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. That last photo is priceless! I'd never heard of doing grapefruit this way, sounds interesting. Have you tried juicing a couple and adding simple syrup to get rid of the bitterness?

    ReplyDelete

Write what you like, but I will delete comments with unsavory language or adult content.